Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Slover Library

Libraries seem to be an asset that really aren't utilized to their fullest potential.  Which is really sad.  There's something wonderful about libraries in general.  I've spent so much time in libraries growing up.  I must sadly admit that my relationship with libraries has waned.  I must get better about that.  Looks like it's time to renew that library card!

But I digress...

I was fortunate enough to get a tour of the Slover Library in downtown Norfolk by Will Hopkins, a fellow author and painter.



I know most people envision dark, cramped, and musty smelling places when they think of libraries.  That isn't the case with Slover Library.  Quite the opposite.  It is open and bright.  And while it is modern, they have done a fabulous job of blending new and old together.

I love the fact that they didn't tear down the older building to make a completely new building.  They did a fantastic job of blending old and new together.


Something that I found really interesting was that there's kiosks throughout the library at the end of the shelves where you can look up books on.  This is amazing to me because I'm used to card catalogs.  I think I've just dated myself with that last statement.  If you don't know what a card catalog is, then you can click here to learn how we used to find things before the computers became SO user friendly.

And libraries now are so much more than just books.  I can't believe that I just said that!  Go for the books!  But enjoy the other things they have as well.

They have a wonderful children's library with interactive screens you can step on.  A video game room as well as a board game area for teens.  Of course, they have computers galore.  And a 3D printer.

That last one really snagged my attention.  How did I not know about this!

Classes a plenty.  A fabulous archive.  And books galore!  What more can you ask for?

So if your are in the downtown Norfolk area, I highly recommend that you check out the library.












No comments:

Post a Comment