Monday, July 11, 2016

Fourth Of July

Pell Bridge

Some days you just need to step away from it all.  From the projects that have consumed you for the past month or so and just take a break.

I've been consumed with house projects and have sadly neglected my writing.

But this is exactly what I did at the end of June.  And a big shout out to my wonderful husband for recommending it!


I drove up to Newport, RI to spend the fourth of July weekend with my sweetie.  That's a ten hour drive from door to door for me with only two stops.  I went before the weekend started to avoid the holiday traffic.  And so you know, I'm not a lead foot.

And to add to the insanity?

I brought my sweet little dog, Darby.

For most people this is not a problem, but Darby used to be a terrible traveler.  However, we have found that ginger cookies do wonders for her.  Plus it builds up her confidence.  Which is good, since in a few months we will be moving to San Diego.  That's going to be one LONG trip for her.

I found this wonderful recipe for dogs that help with car sickness.  The other thing that helps is she isn't as nervous as she was when she first came to us.  And she's even getting to the point where she doesn't need the cookies.  They may be more for my peace of mind than they are for her queasy little tummy.  Which apparently isn't that queasy.

So off we went to visit the hubby while he's up in Newport for school.

Back seat driver, Darby
What a wonderful time we had!

We got to visit with the hubby.  I'm not the only one who has been missing him (he's been away for a while).  Spending quality time together.  Which is always great!

Walk around the Newport Naval Base and enjoy the BEAUTIFUL weather.  I've never seen our dog want to go out as much as she did.  I can't blame her though, the weather was gorgeous while we were there.  She wanted to walk so much that she started over doing it.  Silly pup!

Since the hubby and I have been to Newport before, we visited some of the old places we had been before.

Had some great treats.  And I was so fortunate to have my darling want to cook for me.

I felt spoiled!

It made it hard to leave, but we had to.

The trip home was just as long, but for once Darby actually chose to be in the back seat.  Which was great for both of us.

And just as a side note, books on tape are awesome for those long road trips!






No comments:

Post a Comment