Thursday, June 15, 2017

Book Heaven

One corner of Powell's
Have you ever been to book heaven?  Recently I think I did.

Recently the hubby and I went on a mini vacation and headed up to see some friend in Salem, OR.  To any of my friends in Oregon who are reading this and upset that I didn't see them, please forgive.  It was a quick trip and we plan on coming up again.  PROMISE!

Our friends took us to Portland, OR to Powell's City of Books.  OMG!!!!  This a book lover's dream!

Powell's claims to be the largest independent new and used book store in the world.  And I'm inclined to believe them.

Selfies are hard when your group stares at you for wanting a selfie
It takes up an entire city block.  You read that right!  An full city block!  It contains over 68,000 square feet (about 1.6 acres) of retail space.  Can you even imagine?  They have 4 levels.  Four!

I thought I was going to faint.  It can be a bit overwhelming when you first start out.  I didn't even know where to begin.  My poor hubby followed me around for nearly 15 minutes watching me spin in circles.  I think I know how Belle felt when the Beast 'gave' her the gift of the library.

They also have 9 color coded rooms.  That's right they section things off by color so you know if you're in the right area!  And they have over 3,500 different sections.

The inventory?  A-MAZING!  The inventory for its retail and online sales is over four million new, used, rare, and out-of-print books.  And Powell's buys around 3,000 used books a day.

Whew!

Stopping for a sweet treat & caffeine
We spent a lot of time and money in there.  In fact we stopped in their coffee shop for a coffee and sweet treat to bring up our energy levels.

If ever you're in the area, I highly recommend visiting this place.  Who knows, you might even find one of my stories there.  






No comments:

Post a Comment