Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Happy Independence Day!

USS WISCONSIN
Pardon me as I am about to geek out ever so slightly over our nation's history.  If history bores you to tears or you just don't care, feel free to move along.  My feelings will not be hurt.

Independence Day, also referred to as Fourth of July or July Fourth, is a federal holiday in the United States.  Yes, that normally means you are off work.  It commemorates the adoption of the Declaration of Independence 241 years ago on July 4, 1776.  The Continental Congress declared that the Thirteen American Colonies regarded themselves as a new nation, the United States of America, and were no longer a part of the British Empire.

When you think Fourth of July I'm sure you are thinking fireworks, parades, barbecues, baseball games, concerts, fairs and family reunions which are great!

 However, this came about during the American Revolution which was the legal separation of the Thirteen Colonies from Great Britain in 1776.  It actually occurred on July 2, when the Second Continental Congress voted to approve a resolution of independence that had been proposed in June by Richard Henry Lee of Virginia declaring the United States independent from Great Britain rule.[5][6] After voting for independence, Congress turned its attention to the Declaration of Independence, a statement explaining this decision, which had been prepared by a Committee of Five, with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author. Congress debated and revised the wording of the Declaration, finally approving it two days later on July 4.
Coronado Bridge

Okay I'll step down from by soap box now and let you get on with your Fourth of July celebrations.  

And since I lived on the East and West Coast, I thought I'd share photos.  No I didn't take them, but that doesn't make them any less gorgeous!

Whatever you do, I hope you have a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment